The region of Alentejo, that was already considered the best wine region in the world to visit by the readers of USA Today and often referred and recommended in expertized publications (IG: Decanter Magazine), is a inevitable destination in Portugal for wine lovers.
This idilic and mostly rural region is an invitation to peace, relaxation and delight. It starts to impress immediatelly you enter it and drive the long roads that run through its flat lands and small hills, surrounded by large agricultural fields of vines, flowers, cork trees, olive trees, pastures full of cattle and much more.
The region has old traditions in the wine production and a troubled story made of advances and retreats, which by themselves illustrates a good part of the history of Portugal. The Alentejo in the last decades has affirmed its full potential as wine region of excellence and arrives to the present day like a main actor in the panorama of the Portuguese wines. A region that has preserved its best traditions, some millenia (such as carving wines), while at the same time becoming a leader in innovation, research and technology. Combining all this with its immense gastronomic culture and the simplicity of its people make this a destination not to be missed.
This tour will take you to the most southern part located about an hour from the Algarve, where around the very traditional village of Albernoa exist several wineries. We will arrive to the first winery at 11 AM, we will visit the vineyards, cellar and taste the wines.
After the wine tasting we will stop in the middle of this village on the countryside to have a delicious lunch at restaurant "Campo do Caroço", to taste its very genuine homemade gastronomy of the Alentejo.
At the beginning of the afternoon we will move to the second wine estate, where they will be waiting for us with a jeep to start the tour driving us around the property for a show of their different productions. Then we enter the cellar to see all the facilities and taste the wines. At end we head ourselves to our return trip and we should be entering the Algarve close to 5PM.
- Pick-up and drop-off between the area of Portimão and Albufeira (Please ask to try to settle if you are staying in other locations)
- Permanent guide (since the pick-up) during all the tour
- Visits in the wine estates
- Wine tasting of 7 wines in total
- Lunch with free selection from the menu that includes starters, main course, desert, water, house wine and coffee.
More tasting options:
- Top tasting with 9 wines. + 15€
- Premium tasting with 9 wines. + 30€
Option of lunch at Herdade dos Grous restaurant. +40€
A cozy restaurant, managed by Vila Vita Luxury Hotels Group and member of the Michelin Guide, located inside the first winery, where we can try the rich and typical gastronomy from Alentejo with a gourmet touch.
The meal has also free selection from the menu that includes starters, main course, desert, entry level wine from the winery, water and coffee
This tour can happen:
With lunch at "Campo do Caroço" restaurant - wednesdays to saturdays
With lunch at "Herdade dos Grous" restaurant - mondays to saturdays
Groups size and privacy
Groups of 4 to 24 people:
The tour will be totally private and exclusive for your party.
Groups of 2-3 people:
- May have to share the tour with another group of 2-3 people. If it’s the case there will be a maximum of 2 parties with size of 2-3 people, meaning a tour with a maximum of 6 people.
- When there's no other party to join your date, the tour will happen just with you.
- However, is possible to reserve a total private tour for a group of 2-3 people, by paying an aditional charge of 60€ (This fee is not per person).